The National Academy Orchestra of Canada (NAO)
New Application Deadline: Thursday, February 22, 2024
About the NAO
The National Academy Orchestra of Canada is Canada’s top professional training orchestra. It is a National Arts Training Program, supported by the Government of Canada through the Department of Canadian Heritage.
The Training Program
The NAO provides an intensive orchestral performance experience along with mentorship and training in preparation for successful professional careers. A real-to-life rehearsal and performance schedule of varied classical concerts, opera, Broadway and more. The NAO is unparalleled in its training approach which also includes masterclasses, seminars, mock auditions and runout tours. Professional development is provided by some of Canada’s leading musicians and mentors. The NAO program aims to enhance employment opportunities and offers strategies to maintain a long and healthy career. Under the baton of Artistic Director & Conductor Tania Miller, the NAO is orchestra-in-residence for Ontario’s only and Canada’s largest orchestral music festival, based in Hamilton, Ontario.
Apply now below. Don’t miss your chance to be part of something exceptional!
Our audition requirements have changed for 2024. Please review the new audition requirements below. The Assistant Conductor will assist the Artistic Director and all guest conductors on all programs at the Brott Festival, including classical orchestra concerts, opera, pops, musicals and choral works.
- Beethoven Symphony No. 3 “Eroica”
- Brahms Symphony No. 4
- Rossini Barber of Seville
- Famous Opera Arias in Concert
- Mahler Symphony No. 5
Stravinsky Firebird Suite (1919)
And much, much more …
Frequently Asked Questions
All post-secondary applicants welcome (18-30 years) with preference for candidates with B.Mus, Artist Diploma or equivalent.
Yes, you can apply – but only if you are a Permanent Resident or have a Student Visa and a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Yes! The NAO welcomes all alumni to re-audition, provided you are within the age limit.
Musicians are responsible for their own accommodations. All participants will receive a welcome package that includes preferred areas of town for short term rentals and public transit information, etc. Our Festival office staff will be available should you have any questions about moving to Greater Hamilton
No, participants are responsible to arrange and pay for their own travel.
The NAO will be accepting recorded video auditions only in 2024. All applicants are expected to upload the required audition material to Youtube, Vimeo, Dropbox, Google etc. and send us the link.
The application fee for 2024 is $75 CAD.
Candidates will be notified by the orchestra manager whether application is successful or not:
- the applicant has been accepted to the program
- the applicant is being considered for placement as an alternate
- the applicant did not get selected for the program
Please contact Orchestra Manager Woosol Cho at [email protected] or Brott Festival office at 905.525.7664.
NAO reserves the right to refuse any application.
The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Apply to the NAO
- Before you apply, be sure that you have read the audition requirements posted here.
- No piano accompaniment.
- One uninterrupted video with no editing (unless otherwise stated)
- Follow the exact order on the audition repertoire list.
- If you would like to be considered for doubling instruments (piccolo, bass clarinet, contra bassoon), you can send an additional link to these excerpts. The same submission criteria will apply.
- You will require a Credit Card or Visa Debit Card to submit your application and $75 CAD application fee.
Meet the 2024 NAO Orchestra