The National Academy Orchestra of Canada (NAO)
About the NAO
The National Academy Orchestra of Canada is Canada’s top professional training orchestra. It is a National Arts Training Program, supported by the Government of Canada through the Department of Canadian Heritage.
The Training Program
The NAO provides an intensive orchestral performance experience along with mentorship and training in preparation for successful professional careers. A real-to-life rehearsal and performance schedule of varied classical concerts, opera, Broadway and more. The NAO is unparalleled in its training approach which also includes masterclasses, seminars, mock auditions and runout tours. Professional development is provided by some of Canada’s leading musicians and mentors. The NAO program aims to enhance employment opportunities and offers strategies to maintain a long and healthy career. Under the baton of Artistic Director & Conductor Tania Miller, the NAO is orchestra-in-residence for Ontario’s only and Canada’s largest orchestral music festival, based in Hamilton, Ontario.
Apply now below. Don’t miss your chance to be part of something exceptional!
Our audition requirements have changed for 2024. Please review the new audition requirements below. The Assistant Conductor will assist the Artistic Director and all guest conductors on all programs at the Brott Festival, including classical orchestra concerts, opera, pops, musicals and choral works.
- Beethoven Symphony No. 3 “Eroica”
- Brahms Symphony No. 4
- Rossini Barber of Seville
- Famous Opera Arias in Concert
- Mahler Symphony No. 5
And much, much more …
Apply to the NAO
- Before you apply, be sure that you have read the audition requirements posted here.
- No piano accompaniment.
- One uninterrupted video with no editing (unless otherwise stated)
- Follow the exact order on the audition repertoire list.
- If you would like to be considered for doubling instruments (piccolo, bass clarinet, contra bassoon), you can send an additional link to these excerpts. The same submission criteria will apply.
- You will require a Credit Card or Visa Debit Card to submit your application and $75 CAD application fee.
Meet the 2024 NAO Orchestra